Fashion Show Love by Model Manger Jo


Before iPhones and youtube, way way back in the 20th century, fashion shows were very small private events which consisted of models casually walking around a room, wearing items to entice wealthy clients into buying the couturier's new designs. Most fashion designers now hold their shows in the most glamorous settings, creating a jaw dropping experience for all who attend and all who watch through the internet. Each season seem's to get more and more extravagant and 'Instagram-able'! 

I first worked with Pulse as a dresser for a bridal show at Chester Racecourse. I LOVED every minute of it. Having the responsibility of looking after the stock, dressing the model, being prepared for the quick changes, working in that pressured environment got me excited and my passion for fashion shows grew.

Back in 2011, I had the absolute privilege of attending two shows during Paris Haute Couture Fashion Week AW 2011/12. It was a bucket list experience. I had a dreamy 48 hours in Paris, cafe hopping, window shopping, people watching, I almost expected to be turned away at the door of the shows as it all seemed too good to be true! I had to pinch myself.

First was Chanel - breathtaking. In the Grand Palais, a beautiful glass dome building, at 10pm the models walked under the moonlight. The amazing collection ended with the tips of the model's shoes lighting up! So impressive. 

Chanel
Chanel
Chanel 

Second was Jean Paul Gaultier - incredible. Much more intimate. The long raised catwalk sat in the centre of a historic Parisian building, all the different fabrics swishing past as the models glided by was just phenomenal. 

Jean Paul Gaultier 
Jean Paul Gaultier
Jean Paul Gaultier
Each show was amazing, but completely different. It was the best way to experience two of the world's top designer shows. I was elated.  

As model manager at Pulse, one of the best and most rewarding parts of my role is booking our models on jobs, including fashion shows. At the start of this month, our model Elli (17yr old, 5ft11 beauty) walked for the British Stye Collective Baltic Shows, the first time the BSC (by The Clothes Show) came to Liverpool. 

Here’s Elli’s experience of the fashion show, from a model’s perspective:

















Q: What was the best part of the show for you?
A: I think the best part was being around a lot of creative people, even just being backstage watching everyone was so interesting for me because there’s so many different jobs that go into putting a show together that I wouldn’t have thought before. 

Q: Were you nervous at all? 
A: I was a little bit nervous before the fitting just because I didn’t know who I was going to be working with and I went on my own, but as soon as I got there and met the other models, they were all really nice and we became friends. All the creatives were lovely as well so I was just really excited to do the shows!

Q: How did you prep to be show ready? 
A: To be show ready, I had a lot of early nights so I didn’t look tired and drank a lot of water so my skin looked good. I practised walking around the house but mainly I just tried to get some rest, drink water and eat good so I looked my best.

Q: How did you feel opening the shows, walking first? 
A: Walking first was an honour for me because I was the first person the audience would see and I had to make an impact. At first I was a little bit nervous but it was so fun and as soon as I done the first show I just enjoyed it. 

Q: Do you have any tips to pass onto other models? 
A: If I had any tips it would be to be confident in yourself because being around so many people and all the other models, who are gorgeous and confident, you can start to compare yourself but obviously you there for a reason. It’s so much fun when your there, so just love it and be confident! I would also say that if any models are thinking of going to a casting and are worried that they might not get the job etc definitely just go! It’s such a good experience and you learn so many new things that can better you as a model. 

Elli 
Elli
I think it's safe to say, my passion for fashion shows is for life. Next on my bucket list...NYFW :o) Who's with me?! 

Comments

Popular Posts